Pain in your hand, wrist or elbow? When to seek help from a professional

July 8, 2019 | By: Raleigh Orthopaedic Team

When pain develops in your hand, wrist or elbow, it can be difficult to determine if you should seek professional treatment or assess your injury at home.

According to Dr. Scott Wein, a Raleigh Orthopaedic hand, wrist and elbow specialist, it all comes down to the amount of pain you are in and what your body is telling you.

“If something is obviously wrong such as being unable to rotate your wrist or bend your finger, you should seek medical attention right away,” said Dr. Wein. “If not, at home treatment methods such as ice and elevation may help relieve pain and swelling; however if symptoms do not go away within 48 hours, treatment may also be necessary.”

When should you see a doctor for a wrist injury, elbow pain or finger injury?

According to Dr. Wein, you should ask yourself a few questions about the pain you are feeling.

  • Does it hurt when you press on it?
  • Is it red, bruised or inflamed?
  • Is it swollen, stiff or are you unable to move it?
  • How would you rate your pain on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 minimal pain and 10 the worst pain you’ve experienced)?

“If you answered yes to the first three questions and your pain is above a five, you should visit an urgent care clinic or make an appointment with a hand specialist,” said Dr. Wein. “If your pain is low and improving, you can probably use at-home treatment methods to relieve pain.”

Visit a Raleigh Orthopaedic Urgent Care located on Edwards Mill Road in Raleigh with weekend and evening hours or make an appointment with a Raleigh Orthopaedic hand, wrist and elbow specialist.

Schedule an appointment

Your well-being is important to us. Click the button below or call us to schedule an appointment with one of our orthopedic specialists. If your injury or condition is recent, you can walk right into one of our Raleigh Orthopaedic Urgent Care locations for immediate care. For rehabilitation and physical therapy, no referral is needed to see one of our physical therapists.