Why is it that the most wonderful time of the year is also one of the most stressful? You may feel pressure to make plans with friends and family; or perhaps you are feeling stressed about buying gifts and you’re worried about money. No matter the situation, the holidays always seem to get a little chaotic.
Here are some tips for reducing holiday stress and focusing on what keeps the holidays enjoyable:
- Leave work at work. Don’t look at your email or answer your work phone after you leave work for the day. Instead, focus on your work-life balance and enjoy time spent at home.
- Turn off your phone. After 9 p.m. put down your phone or turn it off if you can. Furthermore, decrease or stop using social media. For a lot of people social media can be a stressor over the holidays.
- Don’t abandon healthy habits. It’s easy to skip an exercise or overindulge during the holidays. But sticking to your normal healthy routine will help reduce holiday stress and make the time more enjoyable.
- Stick to a budget. The holidays always hit the wallet a little harder than the rest of the year. Make a budget in advance and stick to it. It will be friendlier to your stress level and your bank account.
- Take a moment. Learn to meditate, listen to relaxing music or bundle up and go on a walk outside to enjoy nature. Spending time alone away from your television, computer, phone or even friends and family is important to reduce holiday stress levels.
- Treat yourself. Get a massage, plan a getaway with your partner or take your kids for a special dessert. The holidays are meant to be enjoyed, so don’t forget to treat yourself as well.
- Be realistic and don’t over-schedule. You can’t be three places at once. If you know you have a busy workday, don’t make plans that evening. Just because it’s the holidays, doesn’t mean you need to add additional stress to your life.
Reducing holiday stress is easier said than done, so when chaos does hit, just try to take it in small strides. Happy Holidays from everyone at Raleigh Orthopaedic Clinic!